Roasted Turkey Thigh with Grilled ArtiHeart and Roasted Shallot Chef Butter Stuffing
I’m not a fan of turkey white meat and I am just noticing that turkey thighs are available in the grocery store. What a great product. You can easily remove the bone, stuff, roll and roast the thigh for a wonderful, all dark meat, Thanksgiving turkey. You will need butcher twine to tie the roll. A thigh will serve 6 to 8.
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- ½ roll Roasted Shallot Chef Butter
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- ½ pouch Grilled ArtiHearts
- 4 ounces fresh spinach, cleaned and stemmed
- 1 cup bread cubes, store bought or homemade. Not seasoned
- 1 egg
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 turkey thigh, bone removed
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Pan Dripping Gravy, see below for recipe
Pan Dripping Gravy
- 4 cups warm chicken stock
- 4 Tbs flour
- turkey pan drippings
- Prepare the stuffing: Heat the olive oil and Roasted Shallot Chef Butter in a large skillet over medium heat. (The oil will prevent the solids in the butter from burning) Add the onion and celery and sauté until soft. Add the Grilled ArtiHearts, mixing well. Add the brandy, swirling in the skillet until it flames and burns off the alcohol. Add the spinach and mix it into the vegetables until it is just wilted. Pour over the bread crumbs with the chicken stock and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the turkey thigh skin side down on a cutting board. Remove the bone by cutting under it with a sharp pointed knife. Loosen the ends where the bones attach and cut away any cartilage that remains. Spread the stuffing over the meat and roll gently until the seam is under the roll and the skin side is up. Take a piece of butcher twine and tie around the middle of the roll, careful not to squeeze out the stuffing. Tie around each side of the roll about 1/2 inch from the ends. Then tie between the middle and end strings. You should have 5 strings around the roll securing the roll. Season the skin with kosher salt place on a baking rack placed over a sheet pan. Roast the turkey roll for 45 minutes until golden brown. The interior should read 165F. Remove from the oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- To slice, remove the strings and carefully slice the roll in 6 to 8 pieces. Serve immediately
Pan Dripping Gravy
- Gently heat the pan with the drippings over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until it is combined with the fat and the solids. Slowly add the warm chicken stock whisking continuously to avoid clumping. Keep adding stock until you achieve the desired consistency. Serve immediate.
- (If you are like us and require a massive quantity of gravy, add another 1/4 roll Roasted Shallot Chef Butter to the pan. Use 6 Tbs flour and 6 cups chicken stock)