Chard Paella with Artichoke Hearts
This Spanish paella recipe is taken to the next level by adding Monterey Farms crunchy, fresh tasting Natural ArtiHearts™.
Artichoke paella is a great choice for your next family gathering.
Natural Artichoke Heart and Chard Paella
Inspired by a recipe from the North Central region of Spain, this Natural ArtiHeart™ and Chard Paella is easy and quick to make. Peas and beans are classic ingredients while chard gives is a healthy summery touch.
- ½ cup water
- 12 saffron threads
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pkg Monterey Farms Natural ArtiHearts™
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups Arborio rice
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock, unsalted
- 2 cups chopped chard
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp Spanish paprika
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 can cooked cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup fresh shelled peas or frozen
- Bring water to boil in a small saucepan. Add saffron, cover and remove from heat. Let steep 10 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a paella pan or a large shallow sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, garlic and onion and sauté 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Add rice and stir to coat each grain with olive oil. Add chicken stock, chard and tomatoes and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add saffron water, paprika and salt to taste. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Gently mix peas and cannellini beans and Natural ArtiHearts™ into rice, cover and continue cooking until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender but slightly al dente with a golden, crusty on the bottom, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let rest 5 to 10 minutes, and serve.