Natural ArtiHeart and Kale Tart with Roasted Shallot Crust
This pastry recipe would be great with any of the herb-centric Chef Butters. French Herb or Lemon Dill come to mind but a little spice with the Serrano Lime might be just the thing. Great for lunch or a light dinner with a green salad, this savory tart is hearty and delicious. I like to make it in a rectangle shape and then cut it in bite-sized squares for a unique, finger friendly appetizer.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 stick Roasted Shallot Chef Butter
- 2 to 3 Tbs ice cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 pkg Natural ArtiHearts
- 2 cups julienned dinosaur kale, (Cavolo Nero kale)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan, or your favorite cheese
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Small pinch fresh ground nutmeg (optional)
- Egg wash, (1 egg mixed with 1 Tbs water)
- Process the flour and the Chef Butter in a food processor until sand like.
- Add the ice cold water and the egg. Process again, pulsing until combined.
- Pour the mixture onto a floured surface. Bring the dough into a ball with your hands as quickly as possible. Wrap in parchment and refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Roll the pastry to fit a 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom and 1 inch sides. Press the pastry into the bottom and the sides. Prick the bottom with a fork and line the dough with foil going up the sides so they do not fall in on the bottom.
- Bake 10 minutes and remove the foil. Paint the bottom with the egg wash and bake 7 minutes more until just beginning to brown. Remove from oven.
- Spread the julienned kale over the bottom of the tart shell. Place the AtriHearts on top.
- Mix together the cream, eggs, cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg if using. Pour the mixture over the top of the ArtiHearts and tap is with a spoon to remove any air pockets.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until set. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy.