Artichoke Tart with Feta Cheese
Using Monterey Farms Natural ArtiHearts™ in your cheese tarts gives a surprisingly refreshing crunch to your savory hor’s d oeuvre. This quick and easy artichoke tart recipe makes a great appetizer or light meal.
Artichoke Heart and Cheese Tarts Recipe
These tarts are the perfect hors d’oeuvre for holiday parties and spontaneous get togethers. If you have the puff dough in the freezer and ArtiHearts™ in the fridge, you are ready to wow your guests at a moment’s notice.
- 1 sheet puff dough
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs water
- ½ pkg Monterey Farms Natural ArtiHearts™
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- feta cheese
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Whisk the egg and the water in a small bowl. Cut the puff dough in a strip 5 inches wide and as long as the sheet will allow and place it on a parchment covered sheet pan.
- With a pastry brush paint the top with the egg mixture. Cut three ½ inch puff dough strips lengthwise. Place two of the strips on the long edges of the 5 inch wide strip. Cut the third to fit the edges of the short ends, overlapping the thin strips at the corners, framing the tart.
- Pierce the center of the tart with a fork and place a wire cooling rack over the top to hold the dough strips in place. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the cooling rack and continue to cook 7 to 10 minutes longer until lightly brown. Set aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350˚F. Whisk the cream and egg yolk together and season with salt and pepper.
- Thinly slice the ArtiHearts™ and line them down the middle of the tart shell.
- Pour the cream mixture over the ArtiHearts™. If using a hard cheese such as Old Amsterdam Aged Gouda, grate it over the top. If using fresh goat cheese, crumble the cheese over the ArtiHearts™ and if using Brie or Camembert, slice it thinly and lay the slices over the ArtiHearts™.
- Bake in the oven 15 to 20 minutes until the cream mixture is just set. Allow to cool. Cut into bite sized pieces and serve at room temperature.