Using Monterey Farms Natural ArtiHearts™ in your cheese tarts gives a surprisingly refreshing crunch to your savory hor’s d oeuvre. This quick and easy artichoke tart recipe makes a great appetizer or light meal.
Artichoke Heart and Cheese Tarts Recipe
- 1 sheet puff dough
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs water
- ½ pkg Monterey Farms Natural ArtiHearts™
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- feta cheese
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Whisk the egg and the water in a small bowl. Cut the puff dough in a strip 5 inches wide and as long as the sheet will allow and place it on a parchment covered sheet pan.
- With a pastry brush paint the top with the egg mixture. Cut three ½ inch puff dough strips lengthwise. Place two of the strips on the long edges of the 5 inch wide strip. Cut the third to fit the edges of the short ends, overlapping the thin strips at the corners, framing the tart.
- Pierce the center of the tart with a fork and place a wire cooling rack over the top to hold the dough strips in place. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the cooling rack and continue to cook 7 to 10 minutes longer until lightly brown. Set aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350˚F. Whisk the cream and egg yolk together and season with salt and pepper.
- Thinly slice the ArtiHearts™ and line them down the middle of the tart shell.
- Bake in the oven 15 to 20 minutes until the cream mixture is just set. Allow to cool. Cut into bite sized pieces and serve at room temperature.