Grilled Artichoke Heart Stuffing with Brown Rice
Hearty Brown Rice Artichoke Heart Stuffing recipe.
In this recipe, our Grilled ArtiHearts™ give this stuffing a unique and delightful flavor.
This artichoke stuffing is both healthy and nutritious and guaranteed to dress-up any meal.
Grilled Artichoke Heart and Brown Rice Stuffing
Grilled ArtiHeart™ and Brown Rice Stuffing Serves 10 or stuffs a 12 to 15 pound turkey.
- 3 pkg Monterey Farms Grilled Artihearts™, at room temperature
- 12 Tbs butter
- 4 leeks, white part only, ¼ inch dice
- 1 bunch celery, ¼ inch dice
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems and leaves chopped separately
- ½ cup brandy or white wine
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 3 Tbs fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1½ cup brown rice
- 1⅓ cup wild rice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5½ cup chicken stock
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 egg
- Wash the brown rice and the wild rice together. Add the rice to a large saucepan with the chicken stock, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Bring to boil and cover, lower heat and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes until liquid is evaporated and rice is fluffy. If using a rice cooker follow directions for brown rice. When the rice is done spread it on a sheet pan to cool.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet until it sizzles. Add the leek, celery and Swiss chard stems and sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped thyme and sage leaves stirring to release their aroma. Pour in the brandy or white wine to deglaze the pan and reduce by half.
- If the Grilled ArtiHearts™ are right out of the refrigerator, microwave them for 10 seconds in the bag, this will make them easy to separate.
- Add them to the pan, sauté for 2 minutes, then add the swiss chard leaves. Sauté until the leaves are just wilted, about 7 minutes. Spread the mixture on a sheet pan to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the rice, Grilled ArtiHeart™ mixture, chopped parsley, egg and salt & pepper to taste. If the mixture seems dry add a little more chicken stock.
- Fill a buttered oven-proof dish with the stuffing, cover, and bake at 400ᵒF for 20 minutes. Remove the cover and bake 15 more minutes until the top is slightly crunchy.
- If stuffing a bird, make sure the bird is thoroughly cooked before serving.
- Grilled Artichoke and Brown Rice Stuffing would be great with Cornish Game hen, duck, chicken, and of course turkey. The smokiness of the Grilled ArtiHearts™ would also work well with a roasted rack of pork.
- If you want to use a squash as a baking dish choose one that is round and flat like a Cinderella pumpkin. Hallow out the squash and rub the inside with softened butter. Season with salt and pepper and fill the squash with the Grilled ArtiHeart™ and Brown Rice Stuffing. Place on a buttered baking dish, add 1 cup white wine, and cover with foil.
- Bake covered at 350ᵒF for 45 minutes to an hour depending on the size of the squash. Remove the cover and continue baking 30 to 45 minutes, again depending on the size of the squash, until the top is crispy and the squash cooked through. When serving, scoop out squash and Grilled Artichoke Heart Stuffing with Brown Rice for a delicious accompaniment to any fall meal.